Friday, July 29, 2005

Holy Fridays

After being in Kuwait for almost a year now, Fridays have started to feel lazy for me. I successfully managed to switch over the Sunday feeling to the Friday feeling...
Despite having an important task to complete today, I decided to veg on my bed and watch telly all morning. So, it got a little boring....
What I wanted to share with you my friends today is a small talk about religious scholars. In the Alqabas today, on page 9, there is an interview with almufti Dr. Moahammed Raafat Othman. I must say this, following reading his ideas and thoughts I developed a lot of respect for the guy. Few points which I thought were interesting:
1. Breast enhancements, alfatwa = Makrooh:
I think the guy doesn't like women with large breast full stop
2. Face lifts, alfatwa = ja'ez:
The guy likes younger looking women
3. Cloning is acceptable between husband and wife:
Why do they need cloning when they can have sex?
4. It is ja'ez for a pregnant women to abort her baby in order to treat the husband with stem cells: controversial, but I think the fella expects this from his wife
I think our 6ab6abaee should learn a little from Dr. Moahmmed. This guy is well brave and very open-minded. I might not agree with some of his fatwas (What's new!? babs always has an opinion), but I think his ideas and views are a good step in the right direction. The sad point is that, those muftis usually end up being labelled as freaks, psychotic or demented. This I know for a fact, is because I once was sat with some religious fanatics who were discussing the 'Kuwaitis who converted to Christianity'. Those extremists, whom should be in a mental institution themselves, were claiming that every person in Kuwait who publicly went with his views, ideas or opinions about religion has a file in the Psychiatric hospital. It is sad that the Kuwaiti mentality, or more correctly the middle-eastern, is continuing to deteriorate. It is a misfortune to witness this wonderful part of the world going through the dark ages when the rest of the globe is at the tip of civilization and intellect.

No comments: