Monday, March 10, 2008

Olives

I think that there is a serious olive crisis in Kuwait. I always thought that Kuwaiti super-markets have good reserves of nice olives. This notion remained there, albeit it was getting increasingly difficult to find the same quality olives everywhere. With the current increase in products prices, good olives seem to have disappeared completely.
A couple of days ago, I was completely disgusted when my significant-other pointed out that the olives he purchased, though were fine to eat, were preserved in cooking oil! I got so turned off that I binned them the next day.
So, today I thought I'll do my own experiment. I bought some fleshy olives in brine, which I felt needed a bit longer to marinate. I mixed my own olive oil, lemon juice & rind, chili, garlic, salt and vinegar and dumped the whole thing in a jar...

let's see if this one works....

3 comments:

eshda3wa said...

my mom does that all the time

inshallah it will be yummy

Organic Kuwait said...

once u master pickling ur own olives u will never buy the ones in the market again, they use too much salt and other ingredients to make it ripe faster which ruins its goodness and flavor.. i have 2 huge jars of green olives and 2 huge jars of black olives in my fridge which my friends keep stealing from every time they come over!!

Babbler said...

eshda3wa: They actually turned out to be yummy...

organic Kuwait: I'm yet to find some black ones which can be pickled. Any suggestions of where to find them?
The green ones turned out nice..will definitely keep it up..