Saturday, December 10, 2005

To drive or to be driven away..

When I moved back to Kuwait I made a conscious decision that I will take whatever shit the road throws at me lightheartedly. Babbler is very fond driving on the motorway listening to music. To her driving and music marry very seductively and it always takes her to a different dimension.
However, driving in Kuwait possesses a serious health risk, as on daily basis one can feel the impeding heart attack. Our beautiful nation considers our vast and wide roads a battle field where your only weapon is your car. Obviously cars vary in their sizes and shapes, but the greater tendency is to enlarge what is already large...ending up with a thing that resembles an ugly army tank with tyres as wide as the hips of an Arab lady. Usually, the over-sized cars are to be wary off, as the bits which stick out of them tend to nudge you while they slip away harmless. The smaller variety tends to be camouflaged in a frightening way, such that the headlights can flicker in your eyes as if they are of a UFO resulting in extreme blinding at night time.
Our law-abiding drivers will surprise you in their ability to signal when taking turns, sticking to maximum speed restrictions (except when on the phone) and to never terrorise other drivers/motorists. If you ever dare to over-take one of their vehicles, you will suffer extreme degrees of courtesy. What will happen to you is a thing you only witness in a Stallone movie performed by a stunt double. You will simply hear a constant honking of the horn, frightening proximity of the other car, and then a swift take over and sudden brakes ahead of you. In addition to middle-fingers and big fat fists thrown about in the air.
So, I have reached a point now where I am seriously concerned for my well-being and my road mannerism in this country.

4 comments:

Luckybellybuddha said...

Kuwait Public Transport Co. slogan: da3 lena elqeyada wa estamti3 bil ri7lah :-)
may I write that on my car?

Spontaneousnessity said...

lessa =}

that's what they call "the tip of the ice burg"

Babbler said...

mistletoe:
I think you should leave the driving for me :P

spontaneousnessity:
Having to retype your name took me a while. Sorry but I don't get what you mean!

Luckybellybuddha said...

moo kayfich :-p