Friday, December 09, 2005

Holy Matrimony

The day was Monday 5th of December 2005, I was on the edge of the bed early in the morning brushing my teeth. I had, as usual, the BBC on to quickly get an update on the world. Then I hear, as of that day, England grants homosexual couples their civil rights...
I was genuinely happy, not that I will exploit this right for I am a heterosexual who lives far and beyond in Kuwait. but I was happy for the couples who shared a life together for years and were not able to have simple rights like: next of kin or paternity leave for the ones who decide to have children through IVF. There was an interview in that bulletin about a couple who waited for this day to tie the knot in a civil ceremony. What I found a little over-the-top was their wish to have a religious ceremony one day. I am not meaning to be rude, I just cannot see a religion accepting a homosexual union as such act is deemed inappropriate and a 'sin'. This by no means represent my view, as to me a religious marriage will not serve any extra advantage as it does not give you civil rights on its own.
Homosexuality is incomprehendable for many who live in the Middle East. However, there is a great proportion of individuals who turn out to have homosexual tendencies and they engage in such behaviours and practices in a Victorian fashion. The reason I am accepting of homosexuality is the fact that, apart from being an accepting and open-minded person, is sometimes gay people do not chose to be this way. I am not an expert in this topic, but science have found that there is an area in the brain which determines our sexual predilection. This part of the brain is called sexually dimorphic nucleus of the preoptic area. Work carried out on dissected brains revealed that this area in heterosexual individuals is large in males and small in females. On the other hand, the same area in homosexuals was neither large nor small, more like a medium-sized nucleus. Obviously more work is required in this area, but there are strong indicators for biological basis of homosexuality.
So, what will happen if such biology is definitely confirmed? will religion then accept homosexuals? I think not, simply because religion and science never go along..but who knows.
Finally, congratulations for who ever is getting married soon...

4 comments:

Jan6a said...

Funny, i was just discussing this with my neuroanatomy professor.

"congratulations for who ever is getting married soon" - I Second that :p

Babbler said...

I think the was gender is determined is not as simple as people think it is.
What does your professor say about it?

Babbler said...

typo correction jan6a: was= way

Jan6a said...

he didn't get into details, bs u know how the catholic church is considering allowing homosexuals to enter the priesthood. He's all for that and thinks the priests should use science to back them up.